Monday, April 13, 2009

Brace Face

I've spent my fair share of time in the dentist office during my life; actually, probably more than my fair share, truth be told. I've had fillings, I've had a root canal, I've had crowns and braces. Now, I'm having more crowns done and last week, I once again joined the ranks of all those so sweetly referred to as "brace face" or "metal mouth", although mine are actually the clear ceramic ones this time around.

My son, against his most strenuous objections, joined these ranks a few months ago and I, as his loving mother, kept telling him how great it would be eventually and how he would appreciate it later on in life. I also informed him of how he should learn from my mistakes because it's my own fault that I'm having to wear braces again. Because of the fact that I didn't wear my retainers regularly, my teeth have shifted and I have a few gaps opening up. When he was complaining about the pain, I just kept telling him not to worry, it would stop and "it's not so bad is it?"

Well, as I said I got the braces put on again last week and all I can say is what the hell was I thinking letting them put those things on my teeth again!! My teeth aren't hurting, but the inside of my mouth looks like raw hamburger meat or something because it's so torn up. And it's flippin painful!!

Of course, I would never tell my son all that because hey, it's not so bad after all, right?

4 comments:

  1. We mustn't ever tell our children. Ever. Great blog. Love the color of your background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe that you got braces again! Been cheaper to get dentures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, leave it to my lovely sister to just put it out there. Actually, Melany, Jodi and I were just discussing this. I've decided if it ever comes to that, though, I think I need to look into implants because I just can't stand the thought of having to take my teeth out and clean them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimberly!

    Sorry to hear that your braces are painful, but as you said, soon you’ll be very pleased that you did it! I’m currently working with the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) and since you and your son are going through the braces process together, I thought I’d share a helpful resource with you! The AAO’s website (http://braces.org) has a bunch of info on braces and orthodontists, as well as many delicious braces friendly recipes to satisfy your sore smiles! They’re also looking for before & after braces photos – if you’re interested, you & your son should submit one together!

    Feel free to contact me if you have any braces questions!

    Keep Smiling,

    Rachel Wishart
    American Pop
    rachel@americanpopinc.com

    ReplyDelete